TandemLaunch's Entrepreneurship Program
Test drive our Entrepreneurship Training Program to see if an entrepreneurial career path is right for you
Explore an Entrepreneurial Career Path
TandemLaunch is a startup foundry and venture capital fund with a unique model. Working in tandem with cutting-edge research from the world's best universities, they help driven entrepreneurs build and launch exceptional technology companies.
They provide aspiring technical entrepreneurs with pre-seed financing, equity, mentoring and coaching, a full-time salary, and healthcare benefits so you can focus on developing solutions to real-world problems. No “big idea”? No problem! Their Entrepreneur-in-Residence startup program offers aspiring and established entrepreneurs a proven path to build world-class deep technology companies in 12 to 18 months.
TandemLaunch is offering Queen’s Master's, PhD, and Postdoc students* a glimpse into what it takes to kick start your entrepreneurial journey. This is a self-learning and interactive journey to explore your entrepreneurial potential. Through this unique opportunity, you can network with executive members and founders of Tandemlaunch, access to their proprietary Entrepreneurial learning platform, and shadow live sessions during one of their Qualification Phases (you can choose which cohort of "entrepreneurs in training" you would like to shadow in the application form below).
Opportunity Overview & Requirements:
- Welcome session with members of the TandemLaunch team and Queen’s Partnerships and Innovation group (attendance is mandatory)
- Free access to TandemLaunch’s Entrepreneurship Training Program: this 10-15 hour online training course consists of modules on subjects ranging from ideating and validating a venture, to venture capital and fundraising. The course allows you to learn entrepreneurial skills and explore how TandemLaunch helps you build your own deep-tech startup using innovative research from universities worldwide. You will have access to the course materials starting one month prior to the cohort you select (completion of the course material is mandatory to complete the program)
- Students are invited to shadow our Qualification Phase**, where the TandemLaunch team evaluates potential entrepreneurs during various virtual sessions (students must attend at least two sessions), including:
- Ice breaker session - icebreaker session with peers and tech/product co-founders
- Roundtable sessions - weekly roundtable sessions with TandemLaunch's leadership team and entrepreneurs to address all questions related to building up deep tech ventures
- Pitches - live business pitches from TandemLaunch's established ventures
- Business narrative session - sessions where TandemLaunch's tech team works with the entrepreneurs in training to develop compelling business narratives
Important Dates - September Cohort
Application deadline: August 24th, 11:59 pm
Kickoff / welcome session for students: August 26th, 10 - 11 am
Cohort start date***: September 6th
Future cohort dates will be announced closer to their respective month.
*Students’ degree/area of research must be in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Physics, Computer Science, or similar technical fields
**The Qualification Phase is a mutual selection process for Tandemlaunch and aspiring entrepreneurs to find out whether there is a mutual fit through a mix of virtual and in-person interactions.
***Date when the cohort of entrepreneurs start the qualification phase, and students can start shadowing sessions.
TandemLaunch is a startup foundry and venture capital fund: they invest in the companies that they build from the ground up.
At the heart of their mission is the desire to build a better future through deep tech by combining the ingenuity of world-class researchers with the grit, creativity, and resourcefulness of their entrepreneurs who are recruited globally and trained to challenge the industry status quo.
The TandemLaunch team consists of a diverse group of experts across multiple domains who have come together to define a new way of investing in people and technology.
Hear from TandemLaunch's entrepreneurs!
built from the ground up
in capital raised
of ventures received
external financing and
are operational today
reviewed each year
professors and inventors
Over 90% of TandemLaunch's ventures have received external financing and are operational today.
TandemLaunch can put the odds in your favor.
Queen’s University Partnerships and Innovation (QPI) supports the Vice-Principal Research Portfolio’s mission to be an essential catalyst for advancing research and knowledge mobilization, strengthening Queen’s local, national and global impact. QPI is excited to partner with TandemLaunch to offer students and post-doctoral fellows in science, technology, engineering and mathematical fields the opportunity to have practical training in entrepreneurship as well as learn and network with the experienced entrepreneurs at TandemLaunch. QPI will engage with and provide support to Queen’s participants during and following the training.